Thursday, August 4, 2011

Success!

It's been a bit of a slow day here in our Shenyang apartment.  Nicholas came running into our room last night after having a nightmare about a porcupine of all things.  I guess maybe we shouldn't watch the nature shows right before bed.  The boys' illness has left just as quickly as it came although I am still trying to right myself after the night of intermittent sleep.  Why is it that it takes the adults so much longer to recover than the kids?

I did manage to get the boys to Happy City today but I think they are getting as tired of this heat as I am.  After a few minutes of playing Nicholas is always quite sweaty and after pulling them there in the wagon, I have to sit and fan myself, although I do it in style.  I bought a pretty Chinese fan at Carrefour and it works quite nicely.

After playing for a while we made our trek up the escalators and back down again in order to get to the sushi take-out.  We cleaned them out of lobster sushi rolls and headed back to Happy City to eat.  The kids didn't last too long when they went back in so we soon left for home.  Ryan needed a nap but not before the two of them played in the bathtub for a while.  It cooled them down very nicely and I put Ryan in his room for a nap. I decided to snooze on the couch while Nicholas played with his new cars and it seemed like only a few minutes after I fell asleep, Ryan was up.  The reason being that it was only a few minutes.  Apparently he decided he didn't need a nap and although I told him to go back to bed, I was too sleepy to enforce it and both boys played with their cars while I slept.  Less than a month and this heat should be finished and I can start to function properly again.  I can't imagine what I would have been like had we opted to apply to Brazil or India where it's hotter than this most of the year.  I don't think I could have survived.

When I finally awoke from my slumber I cleaned up the kitchen and decided it was time to use up the rotten bananas I have been saving.  I attempted a second banana bread, this time with 'rice flour' instead of 'glutinous rice flour'.  What a difference!  I have created a moist yet fluffy dessert bread that even I can eat.  The only problem now is that I used up all the butter in the bread so I have none to spread on it.  I will get Tim to pick some up on his way home from work and we will have a nice snack tonight.

Aside from making the banana bread and supper, I have done little else of worth today.  The good thing about these lazy days of summer is that Nicholas should be happy to get to preschool by the time August 29th rolls around.  Hopefully he find it a lot more fun.  Maybe I should start being meaner to him so he will want to go.

Anyone who hasn't written lately (or at all) is welcome to send a message telling me how your summer is going and what interesting things you are up to.  Remember, what is boring to you may be something I find amusing.

Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Jan, glad to hear the boys are feeling better, and I am sure you will get caught up on your rest. It would be great if we had the energy they had and also the ability to bounce back as quickly as they do, but it never happens that way.
    I hope when you come home you bring some of those recipes with you, they sound delicious and I would like to try some new things. I think Nick will like school once he gets into the routine. He is becoming more outgoing and is so quick to learn new things and it will be good for him to meet other children.
    Hopefully your weather will clear up and you can get outside more, it is hard to muster up any energy with it so hot and humid. It wasn't too bad here today, not much sunshine but it didn't pour down rain either. We had some light showers and overcast skies but it wasn't cold. I think we will get some sunshine tomorrow, but it will probably be warm and sticky. I shouldn't complain, it could be worse and the cool weather will be here before we know it.
    Today is Hayden's Birthday, he is 13..... it is hard to believe that he is a teenager. Carl and I got him a cell phone for his birthday, all his friends have them and apparently that is how they keep in touch. He has unlimited texting, free evenings and weekends and 200 free daytime minutes a month. Once he starts earning money from doing the clock for minor hockey this winter he is going to pay part of the monthly charge. He and his best friend Justin are golfing tonight and then he is going to Justin's for a sleepover. Justin used to live in Truro with his Dad, but this past year he has lived in Halifax with his mother and step-father. They don't get a chance to hang out much anymore.
    His ball team has provincials this weekend in Sheet Harbour, he plays twice on Friday, twice on Saturday and if they do well they will play on Sunday. Kenzie is staying with us, although we might go down for a game on Saturday and he will come with us. I plan to take him out to the driving range behind the mall and get him a bucket of balls, he loves to wack the balls.
    Donna is downstairs working, the ladies play two games tonight and Polymers play at 9:00. We will soon be finished with ball hockey and then we can get started on the painting and cleaning.
    Well Jan, that is my news for today, not very ambitious but busy.
    Have a great day, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan I wish we had some warm weather here to complain about. I was out to Dave's 50th birthday party tonight and I had to borrow a sweater from Maralee. It was really chilly out there. We came home and I cuddled under a blanket. I went up to Darlene's to drop of Hayden's birthday card and coming back home what should I see on the path ahead of me coming toward me but a skunk! I don't think he saw me cause he was very busy digging for grubs. I still went around the tree to avoid him. His tail was straight in the air and I didn't want to encourage a stink attack. Still working on Linda's trailer. We hope to have it finished by next week. Well glad to hear your boys are feeling better and hope you get rested up. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete