When we arrived at the school I took him in, we met Severine and I quickly left. Ryan and I came home and walked around Eastern Venice for a while. It was a beautiful morning with clear, blue skies and cool air. When we got home Ayi was here and I couldn't wait for her to leave so we could go for a nap. I was up until 1am doing the blog last night then awake at 6:30 this morning. Add into that Nicholas getting up twice because of bad dreams and Ryan once, for what I can't remember, and that all equaled one tired mamma. By the time we got it sleep it was almost noon and I didn't wake up until 2:30 and then only because Ryan kept telling me that it was time to get up. When I realized the time I jumped out of bed to get us ready to go pick up Nick. Time flies when you sleep the day away!
On the way to the kindergarten we ended up sitting beside an ambulance at a traffic light. This ambulance was a small van and I could see right into the windows. There were five people in the back, one of them a man laying on a stretcher. He shirt was open and he had an IV and an oxygen mask on. There was a nurse sitting at his head and three other people on a bench beside him. One of them, a young woman, was smacking him on the chest repeatedly, although smiling while she did it. The flashing lights on the top of the ambulance were flashing but they didn't appear to be in any kind of a hurry, sitting in traffic with the rest of us. I have noticed before that even when an ambulance has its sirens on the other drivers do not move out of the way so it can get through the traffic. I guess they figure that as long as it's not them in the ambulance, there is no hurry for it to get to the hospital. Oh Lord I hope I never have to ride in an ambulance in China! For myself or anyone else.
On the way to the kindergarten we ended up sitting beside an ambulance at a traffic light. This ambulance was a small van and I could see right into the windows. There were five people in the back, one of them a man laying on a stretcher. He shirt was open and he had an IV and an oxygen mask on. There was a nurse sitting at his head and three other people on a bench beside him. One of them, a young woman, was smacking him on the chest repeatedly, although smiling while she did it. The flashing lights on the top of the ambulance were flashing but they didn't appear to be in any kind of a hurry, sitting in traffic with the rest of us. I have noticed before that even when an ambulance has its sirens on the other drivers do not move out of the way so it can get through the traffic. I guess they figure that as long as it's not them in the ambulance, there is no hurry for it to get to the hospital. Oh Lord I hope I never have to ride in an ambulance in China! For myself or anyone else.
We arrived early at the school and when Nicholas came out he was still not happy. Severine took a picture of the Michelin kids all together in front of the school and he wouldn't smile at all. Apparently the afternoon was better than the morning but he wouldn't participate in much, including the playing. This afternoon and evening Tim and I both tried to explain to him that the time will go by faster and he will enjoy it a lot more if he plays and interacts with the other kids. It's not surprising to me though. He is usually a little timid at first but will eventually join in. When it was time for bed the tears started again and he was going on about not wanting to go. We told him he had to go to school to learn so after a while he came out of his room and said, "Mom, I want to tell you something. I have decided I don't want to learn." I told him that was fine but he was still going to school. He could stay there all day and not learn anything. He actually sounded surprised that I didn't change my mind. I was tougher today and told him that he was going to school whether he liked it or not but it would be a lot more fun if he loosened up and tried to enjoy it. I think after a few more days things will become a little easier. He only has four more days of school then Nanny will be here and in order to keep him going while she is here we will have to make sure that we save the fun stuff for his days off. On school days we will check out the different markets and things that he wouldn't enjoy (although I know he'll tell us he would enjoy them just so he doesn't have to go to school).
The rest of the day here was pretty uneventful - a good thing after the busy week we just had. I'm still tired after my long nap so I had better get to bed early tonight. Tomorrow will be a busier day!
Poor Nick is really having a hard time adjusting. It is also hard for you Jan. I know I would find it very difficult. I'm sure once he gets used to the routine and the people he will be more comfortable and probably really enjoy it. Ryan is so cute trying to help his big brother. I did some painting at the rink today, actually it took me all day. It rained here so there wasn't a lot else to do. Not much else to say tonight. Have a great day tomorrow. Bye for now.
ReplyDelete