Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tangled Webs

I had no idea when I started this blog how much of our personal life I would be sharing on it.  I figured I'd post a few pictures and share a story or two and that would be it.  The nice thing about writing so much is that we have a great record of our journey and it has enabled us to still feel close to everyone at home.  On the flip side, anytime we do something that doesn't turn out so well, I have to tell about that, too.  Oh well, c'est la vie!

At three o'clock in the morning I was lying in bed wide awake, unable to get back to sleep after Ryan was up to pee.  Tim could sleep either so I asked him what he was thinking about that was keeping him awake and he wasn't sure.  I knew exactly what my problem was.  Nicholas and school.  We started talking about it and what happened yesterday while we were there picking up Nick.  I didn't mention it all last night, just the part about the teacher wanting us to leave, and I won't go into a lot of detail now.  The gist of it is that there was some lying going on which I got dragged into.  One thing I have stressed to both my kids is that lying is unacceptable and I have very little tolerance for it.  We don't lie to them and we expect that they won't lie to us.  The really bad thing was the reason for the lying.  It was simply because I wanted to pick Nicholas up early so that he could spend more time with his Nanny, something that the Chinese kindergarten apparently doesn't understand.  In my opinion, if I want to take my child out of school for any reason, I should not have to lie about it.  This lie, coupled with the fact that Nick is miserable there (most likely since he can't talk to any of his classmates) kept me awake for quite a while.  I heard Mom up so I went out to the living room and we sat and chatted about it for a while.  When I came back to bed, Tim was still awake and we talked a little more and decided right then to take Nick out of the school.  I got back up and told Mom that if she was up in the morning when he got up, she could tell him that he didn't have to go to school today.  I would explain to him later that he wouldn't be going back at all.

When I woke up this morning I called Nicholas into my room and asked him about the day before and the lie that someone told.  His response: "She should know better".  I went on to tell him that his dad and I don't feel that sending him to a place like that, where it's okay to lie, is a good thing for him.  I told him that he wouldn't be going back again, ever.  I kind of expected him to be excited but I think it was more relief than anything.  I know I was relieved.  It seemed so wrong to be taking him to a place where children are called by number instead of name and where they try to get rid of someone because they are making the children laugh.  I also got a very strange vibe from his head teacher, almost like she might start crying at any time.  She seemed sad.  I had said to Tim last week that I hoped going there wouldn't break his spirit.  Red flag, Jan!  When I was lying in bed, unable to sleep, I was sort of hoping that when I told the school we would be gone for two months in the winter that perhaps they would tell us we were not welcome to come back.  Isn't that silly?  I am an adult, a mother, and didn't want to make the decision myself to take my child out of that school.  I guess some of it is that I wanted to believe that he would adjust but also that I didn't want to come on this blog and explain that we were 'quitting' school.  But, for the good of my four-year-old, I came to my senses and realized (with a little help from my mom) that it just doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  We tried, it didn't work, and that's the end of it.  Of course, I know that people who matter most to us will support our decision anyway because they trust our judgement when it comes to our kids.

Once I told Nicholas the good news we all relaxed a little bit and started planning our day.  Nanny took the boys out for a walk and a picnic while I had my Chinese lesson.  Afterward I tried to get Ryan to have a nap but he was pretty wound up.  I managed to get him into bed but he wanted Nanny to lie down with him.  She did and a little while later I heard giggling.  I went into the room to find Nanny with Ryan's socks on her hands, doing a little puppet show for him.  Since he wasn't going to sleep I suggested we go to Happy City.  Everyone agreed and after we fixed the wheel on the wagon we dragged the boys up to Carrefour.  They were incredibly excited to show Nanny their indoor playground.  We had a fantastic time and have the pictures to prove it.























After Happy City we came back so Nanny could have a massage with Lena.  She too enjoyed it immensely and will likely have a couple per week for the whole time she is here.  It is heavenly!

Tonight after supper the boys went to bed early and Mom and I went for a walk in the park.  It was the first time I have been able to get there in the evening and it was beautiful.  The lights are gorgeous and you would never know you are in the middle of a city with eight million people in it.  On the way back the ladies who do the dancing and tai chi demonstrations were practicing in front of our building so we sat and watched for about a half hour.  It was so relaxing.

So that's about it for now.  I am really tired and just want to have a snack and go to bed.  Tomorrow will likely be a busy day so I need to be rested.  Mom asked me to tell everyone back home, "Hello!".  Have a great day everyone!



 

7 comments:

  1. Jan, I don't call it quitting when you are are removing Nick from an inappropriate situation! I know how much you detest anyone lying, and children learn from the people around them. He must have found the days at school very long with no one to share things with, it must have been very hard for him. He will have lots of time to go to school, Kenzie was 5 in September and he didn't go until the following year, it didn't hurt him a bit. You tell Nick that I am glad he can stay home with you and Ryan. He has already learned more from his adventure in China than most kids ever will.

    Your mom looks like she is really enjoying her time with the boys, and I can tell how happy they are to have her there. The pictures speak for themselves.

    I see the wagon got fixed, did Lorraine take over a new wheel or were you able to fix the broken one? Either way you will be glad to have your wheels back.

    Lorraine is going to be spoiled having a massage a couple of times a week, she will be looking for a masseuse when she gets back home.

    Nice to see you are getting to spend some alone time with your mom as well.

    Sheryl and I went swimming this morning and then came home and painted until noon. I am just waiting for her to come back and we will get back to work.

    It is a beautiful day here, not too warm and the sun is shining, we better enjoy it now because it is supposed to rain for the weekend.

    You guys have a great day, bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..Hurray for mommy...So proud of you. I don't blame you one bit . It must have been hard for Nick not to be able to communicate with his classmates. he can learn just as much from you as he can at the school. You are such a wonderful mother so you keep doing what your doing. Smitty looks like she is having a ball.Love the pictures. So nice to be able to come on here and see and hear all the changes you are going through good and not so good. Say hi to everyone for me .Give all the boys in your life a big hug from Aunt Donna...Smitty..You have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute of it and if I know you .....you will do just that.. Big hug coming your way. talk soon..xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan I think you made the right choice. You gave the school a good chance with Nick and they failed you. You deserve credit for giving them the opportunity and then when it didn't work out you were smart enough to realize that it wasn't working. Nick has learned a lot just with this experience with the school. He is going to have a great time now with Nanny's visit and it will be so much easier for you to plan your days. I did come back this afternoon and we painted some more but had to leave when it was time for me to do photos. Great talking with you the other evening and say "Hi" to your Mom for me. Glad she is enjoying her massages. It is very evident that she is enjoying her grandsons and that they are loving her. We are all out in "Blogland" just waiting to hear about the next episode! Bye for now must get some supper then Darlene and I are going out to buy Gramp some new shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jan & Tim - I know Steve and I had a hard time deciding to put the kids in the french school... but really it wasn't that hard of a decision to move them out! Not when it came to their happiness and well being!! Bravo guys! I've always said the hardest thing I've ever done is be a parent!!

    Love the pics - I had tears in my eyes when I saw the ones of your Mom and the boys on the bed - such fun!!! They are really enjoying her visit! I’m getting excited to see you all again too!

    The boys are settling back in to school, and their extra curricular activities have started. Hayden is tryout for Bantam A - but he looks so small next to the other boys. He has admitted this level of play is a bit too much for him - we’re afraid he is going to get hurt. I think perhaps this year he will be playing out of Debert on the B team - which is great as there will be several kids from softball and last year’s hockey team there too! Kenzie is looking for something to do - and I am inquiring around about archery. They covered it at the school last year - and he was none stop talk about it so... here we go again! His bowling should start soon, and that will make him happy.

    I’m am going to try handbells tonight!! I’ve been off with tennis elbow since late spring... cross your fingers for me!!! If I can’t - the director wants to move me to the lower bells where I can just use a mallet with no lifting. :( I like my higher bells and not sure I will continue if he makes me move.

    Steve is off to New Hampshire this weekend (again) with his friend John. They are roughing it this time - sleeping in the truck and driving straight there and back!!!

    Well that is all from my little part of the world! Hugs to everyone! Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick is only 4!! When Julia was 4 she wasen't able to go to school in NS. I'm guessing that he will learn more from you guys, then he ever would in a school where he was so unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of you Jan, you did the right thing for your son and no one can fault you for that. He will learn the most important lessons in life from you and Tim. Lots of love to all of you from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a few days since I've been able to read.

    I think you made the right decision - maybe after being in the country awhile longer, when things aren't so "new" still, you can try again. I think you will have so much peace now about it.

    I'm not looking forward to moving the kids from Atlanta to SC schools (just because of the difference in curriculum & the rate they study at) - but at the rate we are going with this house, we may never move! New hire relocation is no fun!

    ReplyDelete